California AB-60 Driver’s License

What is California AB-60?

Starting in January of 2015, California residents who cannot establish proof of their legal presence in the United States may apply for a driver’s license as long as they can show eligible proof of identification and residency in the state. This is a great program that insures that our roads are safer with licensed drivers who have passed the vision examinations and the written tests for obtaining a California Driver’s License.

By law, no one is allowed to attempt to question the AB 60 driver’s license holder, or discriminate against them, or attempt to question the holder’s citizenship or immigration status. These licenses may not be used for identification purposes, though.

To apply for the AB-60 license, you must bring a list of specific documents to your DMV appointment.

First you need 1 document of Primary Identification
Primary Identification documents must come from a specific list on the DMV form and can include the following documents:

  • A previously issues California driver’s license or ID card (October 2000 or later)
  • A valid foreign document that can be electronically verified  by the DMV with the applicant’s country of origin. This can include a Mexican passport from 2008 or later, a Mexican consular card issues in 2006 or 2014, as well as a Mexican Federal Electoral Card, issued 2013 or later
  • A valid foreign passport

(California Department of Motor Vehicles)

There are many restrictions on which documents are acceptable for use for the AB-60 license, and certain documents are only acceptable if they were issued in specific years. It is important to work through this form with a lawyer prior to your DMV appointment to make sure that you have all of your documents in order.

Besides Primary Identification, you will have to provide the DMV with 2 forms of secondary identification. And then you will get into the list of documents acceptable to show Proof of Residency.

Sometimes when completing an AB-60 application, the DMV will request a Secondary Review of your application. If this happens, you will be required to bring more evidence to the DMV, which can include a variety of papers, depending on what they request. They may ask for marriage certificates, divorce certificates, U.S. Department of Homeland Security documents, or income tax returns.

Give us a call or send us an email and we can help you with your AB-60 application so that it is done smoothly, efficiently, and with peace of mind!


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *